Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Good news?!

Today was my 5 week check up. I am still unable to bend my foot to the proper angle to wear my boot so I was really not looking forward to today's appointment. I explained to Dr. Rod my situation and was anticipating a "scolding." That didn't happened. He wanted to get some x-rays so he can see if there was a bone blocking another bone from moving to the position required for the boot and later, walking. He had the x-rays taken while I moved my foot back as far as I could bend it back with the aid of a towel. This view allowed him to determine what was going on, if anything. After he reviewed the images he concluded that I was just stiff and there wasn't in fact something blocking it. I would just have to work it harder, he said. Harder? How do you want me to do that? There's only so much I can do, and the minute it hurts or I think I'm doing something wrong I stop. He wants me to go back in 6 weeks to see my progress and then figure out when I should start physiotherapy. I'm not sure if what I'm doing to even try to get it bent is what I need to be doing. I'm not a PT'ist. I know nothing about how to get my foot to bend properly. Ok, I thought. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. As we were checking out, I was hoping there wouldn't be a repeat -almost death- situation like last time. You see, my grandmother was wheeling me down an incline and said she had me and I could let go of the wheels. So, what did I do? I let go. What shouldn't I have done? Let go. She didn't have me, she was on the phone talking to my aunt. Down the incline I rolled almost ending in my head being decapitated. Nice. REAL nice. So, I said a little prayer and asked for someone to help her guide me SAFELY out of the clinic. Not a second later she took grab of the wheelchair to begin our "adventure" back to the car. She swung my right foot into the wall! Ugh, not once, but TWICE. I don't think she likes me.......

A few hours ago I received a call from my Dr's office setting up an appointment for NEXT week for physiotherapy. Next week? Why? Oh, upon a second look at my x-rays Dr. Rod felt it was necessary to get me in as soon as possible for my ankles to be realigned and help aid me in getting my foot to bend again. As much as I appreciate the fact that he's trying to get me walking sooner as I have a deadline of being able to walk BY May (without the use of walking aids) so I can finish school instead of being dropped I'm not looking forward to them realigning my still very tender ankles. This is going to kill. I called Matty and told him what was going on and he gave me a silver lining. He said, "Well, that's better news than him saying you'd have to go in for more surgery." However, he quickly traded my silver lining in for a rain cloud, filled with very large hail and lightning by saying "It is going to suck when they have to twist your foot to where your joint realigns and you pass out from the pain...." Jerk. Well, actually, I'm not sure if I'd quite mind passing out from pain. At that point they would be able to do whatever they needed to do and I wouldn't care because, well, I'M PASSED OUT! I'm sure you'll have a lovely update to read after that appointment.

mmv

No comments:

Post a Comment