Monday, January 31, 2011

A long overdue post

Wow, it sure has been a while, eh? Sorry about that. And it's not even like I'm doing something way more important, either. After a suggestion from my dad, I decided to make this one long post in chronological order instead of going back and post dating entries. So, here it goes!

The following Saturdays in January: 1st, 8th, and 15th:
Mathew, my husband, decided to take a few Saturdays for himself and go out with his friends. This caused a lot of tension between us as I felt he should be here for me seeing as during those weeks I really wasn't used to the walker and couldn't do much by myself. However, he had a different view. Why should he have to sit here with me just because I had to? We both thought the other person was being selfish. It seemed everyday we were fighting and the stress levels for both of us were REALLY high. There definitely wasn't any walking on egg shells to avoid arguing. Everything would cause a fight. A look in the wrong direction, a simple favor, etc. It's not exactly what I needed or wanted. After all, our vows did say "in sickness AND in health" as well as "for better or worse." This just so happens to be the sickness and worse those vows were talking about. So where was my husband? To this day I still feel he should have been here more, but I do understand where he was coming from. Besides, before all of this, he never hung out with his friends. Guy time is important, I suppose.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011:
My sister, Erica, texted me on Monday asking if I wanted to go over to my parents house for dinner. Really, I thought? Leave the house and not for a doctors appointment? I jumped (not really) at the opportunity to do so. She said she would swing by after work on Tuesday around 5p.m. and take me over to their house. As promised she arrived at 5p.m. and got me loaded in the car. Car rides are much easier and less painful for me now! My dad was coming home around 6ish, and dinner was 30 minutes later. Erica made us taco salad and refried beans. We hung out for a while after dinner and played Jeopardy. I can't really remember who won because they play with some really weird rules. Guessing the answer of the final question BEFORE even seeing it? Unheard of! So, we'll just say it ended in a 4 way tie. It was getting late and I wanted to get home before Matt went to bed so he would be able to help me up the huge step leading to the front door. It was really nice being able to get out of the house! Ahh....I looked forward to more outings.

Thursday, January 20, 2011:
My grandma brought over a wheelchair that she got from a friend of hers. Yes! A wheelchair! I will be able to get out of the house and go for extended periods of time without getting easily tired because of my walker! Super exciting! Watch out, I'll be hell on wheels! Ahh, things are starting to look up!

Saturday, January 22, 2011:
My father-in-law was in town and came over to hang out and take us to lunch at Steak 'n Shake. I didn't bother taking the wheelchair because I would just be walking from the car to the restaurant and then back to the car. Easy enough. Lunch was over and it was back to the casa we went. After another hour or so he left. Matt had to go grocery shopping and I wanted to get out of the house. After what seemed like forever (it was actually only like 20 minutes) I convinced Matt to take me with him. We went for a drive on the beach. I had my head out the window like I was a puppy dog! I was so happy to be out of the house and to be hanging out with my husband. It had been a while. Like I said before, he had been hanging out with his friends on the weekend leaving me home by myself. What a change. He realized it was okay to let me out of the house, and by then it had been 4 weeks post so it was easier for me to get around and I wasn't in as much pain anymore. After the drive on the beach we arrived at Publix. He got the chair out of the trunk and helped me get out of the car and pivot into it. The minute I sat down the right arm rest popped off! This chair, I have to tell you, is quite old. Both breaks are broken, there is rust of the frame, cobwebs in the wheels, and now, it's missing an arm rest. But hey, I was out of the house and I'm not going to complain about the looks and age of the chair. It works and I'm happy to be able to borrow it. Grocery shopping was completed and our evening was spent watching a movie. It was really, really, REALLY nice to be hanging out with the hubby again. My weeks are spent by myself that it's nice to have something to look forward to.

Saturday, January 29, 2011:
We went to Tampa to visit Grandma Varisco, use her Sam's Club card to get some stuff, and have lunch with her. We went to Sam's Club. For this outing I used the wheelchair. I was in the chair for quite some time but at this point in time I wasn't hurting. Back to the house for lunch. We picked up a Rotisserie chicken from Sam's and made yellow rice to accompany it. It was really good. I had been CRAVING rotisserie chicken for a longgg time. By the time we got home, my foot was purple and swollen and hurt fairly bad. Too much too soon, I suppose. The rest of the day I spent with my foot elevated and only got up when I had to.

Today, January 31, 2011:
My steri-strips finally fell off on Tuesday, January 25th. The scar looks like it wont be too bad, but I will want to find a decent working scar removal cream so I wont have to be reminded of this horrible event in my life every time I look down at my foot. I would actually like to pretend it never happened at all.

Last Tuesdays appointment was cancelled because my doctor had surgery. Not sure what for, only know my appointment was moved to tomorrow. I am absolutely not looking forward to it. I am still not able to get my foot bend enough to put it in the boot. There is a bone not allowing my foot to bend. I am scared Dr. R might say I need to have additional surgery to shave the bone down or to adjust the placement of the hardware. If it is one of those options I hope it just needs shaved down. The only recovery I'll have to do with that option is to allow the new incision to heal. It shouldn't add on to my existing recovery time. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks post op and by this time I should be able to bend it and hear that I am able to put weight on it. However, it doesn't look like that's going to happen. :( I don't know, I could just be over reacting. Either way, I'm still not looking forward to the appointment.

Matt should be getting home in 30 minutes. We picked up this Raspberry Chipolte marinade from Sam's and I am eager to try it out.

I will post more often, I promise.

mmv

No comments:

Post a Comment